Thursday, May 29, 2008

The One String Phono Fiddle




The first photo shows me with my one string phono fiddle after a performance outside St Michael's Church in Oxford.
I have two one string phono fiddles believe or not! The one in the first two photos was my grandfather's and was handed down to me by my grandmother after his death. The second two photos are of my second phono fiddle which was saved by my father-in-law when helping an elderly neighbour clear 'rubbish' she no longer wanted out of her loft. The horn of the instrument was in rather a state but has been restored by Steve Harper, A tin whistle maker from Gawcott, Bucks.
Phono Fiddles were made by the English 'Stroh' company between 1910 and 1942 along with other strange instruments like the Stroh violin, 'cello, guitar and mandolin.
The design uses a pin bridge bearing on a diaphragm, the resulting sound being amplified by the horn. This is the same principle as used by the wind-up gramophone of the same era. Recording equipment of the early 20th century was primitive and required a loud output from the performer. Stroh believed that the louder sound of their instruments directed towards the microphone would improve recordings. It never really caught on!
The second photo above shows how to play the instrument. There are knee grips to hold the phono fiddle between knees. This phono fiddle is the 'Parlour' model. The other one is the 'Concert' model (see the 4th photo). It is slightly larger and louder.
I performed 'Danny Boy' on the phono fiddle in a Granada Television programme called 'Nice Time' hosted by Kenny Everett and Germaine Greer in 1969. They requested phono fiddle players to write in to appear on the show. My grandmother wrote in nominating me but unfortunately she died before I passed the audition and appeared on the show.
I've played the phono fiddle in various bands: Yogi's Ragtime Jug Stompers (1967-1969); Pond Street Grog Bottle Blowers & String Ensemble (1969-1972); Boodle-um Jug Stompers (1972-1982); Sunnyside Serenaders (1984-1988) and Ian English Boodlum Band (1992-present day).
The type of band name gives you a clue to the type of music suitable for the phono fiddle.
FiddleOn magazine ran an article on the phono fiddle and me in the Winter/Spring 2008 issue-
(http://www.fiddleon.co.uk/).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Steve Harper still make Whistles in Gawcott?

Adrian said...

I believe he's just stopped making whistles.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. What a pity, I've just moved to Buckingham and was hoping to get one from him, seeing as he is local and his whistles are so eye-catching.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I came accross your blog via google (searching for Steve Harper) I don't know if "anonymous" will see this, but just to let you know, Steve will still sometimes make whistles to order. Drop me an email @ info@pcmedics.it if you are are still interested.

Regards

Stuart Harper

Anonymous said...

Hi i have one of these interesting phono fiddles .but cant find much info on setting it up. how do you tune it .and do you use a standard violin bow. many thanks

Adrian said...

I tune the string to G - don't know why - just always have! I use a normal violin bow.

Life ond Sandman said...

lizzardz
WOW ,I cant believe it, the same fiddle I bought in a junk shop just as a curio, I tried and tried but it always sounded like a cat with its round bits in a vice,great to see its being played well
folog

Unknown said...

i was introduced to this awesome instrument yesterday at a music festival in durham, north carolina (USA). i am a cellist; was supposed to be doing cello demos. the rest of the day was spent playing this incredible instrument. thanks for the background overview. i will be referencing you and your words today at the festival!

Adrian said...

Thanks for your interest Shana.